Washington Post Quotes Art Ally in Article on Corporate Morality
On January 24, Donald Trump became the first president in the 47-year-history of the March for Life to address it in person.
“All of us here understand an eternal truth. Every child is a precious and sacred gift from God. Together, we must protect, cherish, and defend the dignity and the sanctity of every human life,” he said to cheers and applause from the crowd of tens of thousands.
Each year, the largest pro-life event marks the anniversary of the U.S. Supreme Court’s rulings in Roe v. Wade and Doe v. Bolton (1973), which legalized abortion in all 50 states. Since then, an estimated 62 million babies have been destroyed.
In 2017, Mike Pence was the first sitting vice president to address the March in person. President Trump addressed the crowd via satellite hookup in 2018 and in 2019. President Reagan addressed the crowd via telephone in 1987, as did George W. Bush in 2003.
Marching with the crowd along Constitution Avenue was Samaritan’s Purse President and CEO Franklin Graham and his daughter, Cissie Graham Lynch, a mother of two.
“Mr. President, I just want to say thank you for coming down to address the March for Life. That is huge,” Mr. Graham said. “You’re the only president to ever do that. Thank you for taking a stand for life. It’s so meaningful to each and every one of us.”
From the president
The president, who proclaimed January 22 as National Sanctity of Human Life Day in 2018, said at this year’s event:
“When we see the image of a baby in the womb, we glimpse the majesty of God’s creation. [applause] When we hold a newborn in our arms, we know the endless love that each child brings to a family. When we watch a child grow, we see the splendor that radiates from each human soul. One life changes the world – from my family, and I can tell you, I send love, and I send great, great love – and from the first day in office, I have taken historic action to support America’s families and to protect the unborn. [applause]
“And during my first week in office, I reinstated and expanded the Mexico City Policy and we issued a landmark pro-life rule to govern the use of Title X taxpayer funding. I notified Congress that I would veto any legislation that weakens pro-life policy or that encourages the destruction of human life. [applause]
“At the United Nations, I made clear that global bureaucrats have no business attacking the sovereignty of nations that protect innocent life. Unborn children have never had a stronger defender in the White House. [applause]
“As the Bible tells us, each person is wonderfully made. [applause]”
The March was well attended and peaceful, with only a few pockets of pro-abortion protestors along the route from the Washington Monument to the Supreme Court.
Bayou State Shines
The state of Louisiana played a highly visible role this year. First Lady Donna Hutto Edwards, U.S. Rep. Steve Scalise (R), and State Rep. Katrina Jackson (D), all spoke. Rep. Scalise has been a main proponent of the federal Born-Alive Survivors Act, which protects babies born after botched abortions. Rep. Jackson introduced a law in her state requiring abortionists to have admitting privileges at a hospital within a 30-mile radius of their clinic. That law is under review at the U.S. Supreme Court.
Others who spoke were longtime pro-life champion U.S. Rep. Chris Smith (R-NJ), U.S. Rep. Ann Wagner (R-MO) and Melissa Ohden and Claire Culwell, both of whom survived abortions. Wagner and Smith co-sponsored the federal Born-Alive Survivors Protection Act.
Additional speakers were Jim Daly, president of Focus on the Family; Marjorie Dannenfelser, president of the Susan B. Anthony List, which helps elect pro-life women; Elisa Martinez, founder of the New Mexico Alliance for Life; David Platt, pastor of McLean Bible Church in Virginia, and Greek Orthodox Bishop Apostolos.
Countering the pro-abortionists’ false claim that being pro-life is anti-woman, the theme for this year’s March for Life was “Life Empowers: Pro-Life is Pro-Woman.”
Washington Post Quotes Art Ally
The day before the March, the Washington Post ran an article, “Does opposing abortion mean you should boycott Starbucks? Some advocates say yes,” which featured a quote from Timothy Plan founder Art Ally:
Some Christian investment firms offer financial products that they promise will ensure clients’ money does not in any way contribute to abortion-related activities. Art Ally, president of the Timothy Plan, said his company’s mutual funds and exchange-traded funds will not buy stock from any company that contributes to Planned Parenthood, any pharmaceutical company that manufactures abortion drugs or any hospital chain that performs abortions.
“If you are pro-life, how much money do you want to invest in companies supporting abortion?” said Ally, whose plan has $1.3 billion under management for more than 50,000 clients. “If you’re really pro-life, the answer is none.”
The Timothy Plan also avoids investment in casinos, as well as cruise lines and equipment manufacturers that promote gambling; manufacturers of tobacco and alcohol; movie or game companies that include positive depictions of anti-family characters; and many others.
In total, Ally said, the Timothy Plan found something unbiblical in under 6 percent of the thousands of publicly traded companies in the United States.
Nick Returns to the March
Also in attendance at the March for the second year in a row was Covington Catholic (KY) High School student Nicholas Sandmann, who became famous for being falsely portrayed by media as harassing a drum-beating Native American, Nathan Phillips, at last year’s March for Life.
Before footage emerged showing that Nick, who had been wearing a red MAGA hat at the time, was innocent of the charge, news media and some liberal politicians portrayed him as a hateful, harassing bigot. Nick filed defamation lawsuits against several networks, including a $250 million claim against CNN. On January 7, a local Covington station reported an undisclosed settlement.
Nick still has a $275 million pending law suit against NBCUniversal and a $250 million suit against the Washington Post. Several other Covington students have also filed lawsuits against some media and politicians over the incident’s handling.
After Nick posted a tweet praising the president for his speech, Mr. Trump tweeted out a shout-out to him: “Thank you Nick!”
A writer for Timothy Partners, Ltd. He is a regular weekly columnist for The Washington Times and Townhall.com and is frequently published by AmericanThinker.com, DailyCaller.com, OneNewsNow.com, and others. He has authored the following books: “A Strong Constitution: What Would America Look Like If We Followed the Law” (D. James Kennedy Ministries, 2018), Invested with Purpose: The Birth of the Biblically-Responsible Investment Movement, and A Nation Worth Fighting For: 10 Steps to Restore Freedom.